Sunday, September 9, 2012

Looking for Peace.....but not in a petition.



I don’t read the Bible every day and I can’t quote small sections from it either but what I can say is that I know the essence that the Word of God emits when it is read and spoken.

It becomes hard to deal with people that have a certain narcissistic belief that when they learned something new no one else around them must be aware of it since it is new to them and I am referring to religion. 

I appreciate the newness of it all but what creates a rift is when that someone then thinks they can tell you about it as if they were “helping you” become better in some way via their “discovery.”  Back when I decided to focus more on my belief in God I took the daily examples of His presence in my life.  All these years that my Mother held me when I was sad or corrected me when I was wrong started to make sense as I laid on a park bench trying to get some sleep thinking about why I was alive.  I was homeless for roughly a year in total as a teenager and none of my HS friends at the time or maybe even now ever knew that.  I either couch surfed or stayed awake all night until I could find somewhere to lay my head down during the day.  Eventually I was able to find a steady place but it didn’t last too long and there was nothing more certain than a park bench in Riis Park. 

So during these times I would question God as often as I could and would dare to hear or see an answer. Often I would be reminded about how I was taken care of by my parents or how a squirrel would make a noise to alert me that someone was coming down the path that my park bench was on.  As time went on I began to see God in everything and everyone and even as poor and homeless as I was people would help me or even smile at me almost as if they knew I was searching for that example of love.  Some people that are newly Christians are always on a “Jesus Loves” you high and just keep repeating that Jesus or God Loves you to everyone they speak with.  It is a turn off for many people and I don’t think it’s always because people think it’s cheesy but I think it’s in part because people are aware that those people may not be able to explain that LOVE in depth.  I’ve had people tell me “what is there to explain!?” with anger or confusion in their eyes “why can’t you just accept it?!”  I then sometimes ask them “if someone was sexually abused as a child and were told each time by the abuser that it was done out of love or lived through a domestic violent relationship and told the same thing about love do you think they would be willing to accept that word love from you?”  I always get a look of ‘oh umm…’ and there’s the obstacle that comes with not being able to explain the feeling you have of God’s unconditional love.  Now, some of these Christian people say that they use the crucifixion of Jesus as the basis of God’s love but then I ask how they relate it in the case I stated above and all I get is the stuck record syndrome from them “but he died for our sins…but he died for our sins…but he died for our sins…”

I simply do not believe most of these churches that go out on the street and “preach” what they believe to be the “right” interpretation of God’s Word and I say it like that because they take it in its literal form and justify their opinions around that.  I’ll use this as an example; last week I participated in the Caravan for Peace and an Anglican Priest said that the clergy coalition, that he is a part of, was aware of the caravan and a march we would be doing.  Out of the 130 clergy I think about 7 might have shown up and to add insult to injury the church we ended up at, that is part of that coalition, their congregation was nowhere to be found.  The caravan is addressing the issue of the drug war policies that both the US and Mexican governments have imposed on its citizens and have failed.  In that the obvious issue of street gangs comes up among other things like poverty, the legalization of drugs, etc…  The one man that showed up and is not in that clergy coalition was Min. Ishmael Muhammad from the Nation of Islam.  He gave a great speech and had everyone’s ear and if there was any understanding of God’s universal love it was coming out of this Brother that night.

This clergy coalition did not show up to the caravan march or events held earlier that day but they did make sure that there were plenty of petitions circulating the church that night to get our names on a petition that addresses the gun laws in IL.  I did not sign it and never will but not because of them but because I believe that if you address the Spiritual void in our society then everything else will fall in place…I said that if WE address that void EVERYTHING else will fall in place!   How is it that 130 pastors feel as if they are lacking power and influence to affect their communities around the issue of violence?  130 pastors passing around a petition in their churches to change a law are 130 pastors that DO NOT believe in the Power of the Almighty Creator God!

Do I need to say it again?  

Did you feel what it is that is being said here?

If I believed that violence was a product that came in a box and once I open that box violence comes out of it and makes me to do violent things then I’d sign a petition.  What we are talking about is a lack of Faith in our Creator.  A lack of depth in people’s Spiritual lives, a lack of truth in people’s lives, a lack of willingness to understand that Our God Creator does not have a signature to add on a petition and since He doesn’t then neither do I.

People can go to all the Christian conferences, concerts, gatherings, revival’s, etc… but if they are NOT where the People are at then they have missed it ALL.  I do understand the need for some of those things for some people but when you are amazed at what someone is doing in some other part of the world then you are denying the act of God’s love when you see a homeless person smiling.

I know some will say ‘but I go out on the street and Evangelize’ and the issue with that is it is being done with the intention of “saving” someone rather than just letting people know that you love and care for them simply because they are alive, how wonderful would that be to just express your love and appreciation to people simply because they woke up that morning.  If people then ask why then I would share my experience with them but not to “convert” them but simply to share my thoughts on what has worked for me. 

I had a Priest ask me where was I going to seminary and I told him that I wanted to go to a certain one and he said quickly that the seminary I mentioned was not a Christ centered place and I told him it was OK because I was looking for a place that accepted ALL as the creation of God…he couldn’t argue with that so he walked away.

I love you because I can

I love you because I want to

Peace/AMOR

Gerardo