Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Looking for Peace.....in my actions.


I just read an article titled “Why do Christians need to make it all better?”  written by Stephanie S. Smith for Relevant magazine and it touched on why do Christians hurry to hope in tough times and how it sometimes doesn’t get better.  This article came out today in a time that Chicago is reporting that 40 people were shot over this long weekend that happens to be a memorial for those that have given their lives in the military.  Do we rush to say that there is hope that things will get better and ignore the process of what needs to happen for it to change?

As I have written before that 40 people being shot in a city of more than 2.6million (9.4million if we look at it as a Metro area) is not a large number but nonetheless it’s 40 more than anyone of us would like to see and I use the term “anyone” very loosely.  I say that because I see that some people are more hurt over the killings in Syria but make no mention of the killings here in Chicago.  Syria’s population is just over 22million as a whole country and not to say let’s play the number game here to see who’s pain is worst but it does open the eyes a bit.

I cannot stress enough how frustrating this all is when after a weekend like this most people that tag themselves as “progressive community organizers” just ignore the issues and wants everyone they know to sign some sort of petition for something else.  Why are they not worried about these shootings?  Some people will even say “omg that’s not far from my house!  What did I move into!?” is that really your reaction?  Was the trendy neighborhood not so “cool” anymore?

OK back to this article and how it relates to the shootings and violence….

Stephanie S. Smith asks us to “resist the urge to resolve” and that’s hard to do for any of us because we all feel like we have the solution and I could sit here and write about how certain programs are not working and which one’s might do better.  I could say that places like Cease Fire are NOT the solution and they are sucking up all the funding for better services and they should be shut down BUT I just won’t go there right now ;-)  What the article has brought to the forefront of all of my thoughts, as a follower of Jesus teachings, is did Jesus have to die in a violent way to make His point?

For those of you that have watched The Passion of the Christ by Mel Gibson he goes into some savage detail of what possibly happened to Jesus as He walked with his cross to be crucified.  I remember watching that and thinking why didn’t they just snatch him up and yanked up on the cross and just nail him to it, wouldn’t that have been traumatic as well not only for him but for those watching?  His along with many people of that time, death was a gruesome event and meant to horrify people into NOT committing crimes.  So fast forward to present time and I’m thinking are we subconsciously allowing for these shootings to take place so that we can indirectly horrify our youth to the dangers of becoming involved with gangs and drugs? And I say “we” as in the community organizers, clergy, and educators that are supposed to be on the front lines of these issues in a setting like the city of Chicago.  The answer is YES and I dare to say that some of us are doing it consciously as well. 

So then what do we do?  It is a very complicated issue when we allow ourselves to get stuck on this idea of hope and keeping that hope alive because we are unwilling to go through the whole process.  I feel like we are waiting for our “Batman” to arrive and basically do everything that none of us are willing or wanting to do and that is to deal with the pain and ugliness of this all. 

Over the weekend I had plans on enjoying the hot weather and taking the time to do nothing instead I spent all of Sunday dealing with an issue.  A young Brother of mine had some serious events take place in his life and reached out to me for help.  If I didn’t answer him we could very well be talking about 41 shootings and 11 deaths over the weekend.  I knew what his expectation of me was and I couldn’t play the role of “gangster” for him because that’s not what it called for.  I pledged to him as well to his father that I would be a Brother to them and there when they needed me, they could be right or wrong I would be there for them.  So the process begun with an explanation of what happened and I quickly assured him that I would be there for him but also gave him some things to think about while I made my way to him.  Once we meet up I knew that he was ready for action as I was too but my action was different.  We go up to his parents apartment and we sit down and go through it all so I understood what was going on.  Once I knew that the opposition was an unknown character and there’s money at play I knew this could turn out bad.  So I gave him the layout of what my thoughts were and what I felt was the right approach but in all of this I never assured him that things would be “OK” and that “let’s hope things work out.”  Instead I made him aware of his own responsibility in this event and how he could address it properly with the least amount of negative impact.  I knew he didn’t want to hear everything I had to say about certain things but he respected me enough to sit there and listen.  At the end of it things “worked out” but the process wasn’t over because there shouldn’t always be a happy ending in this case instead it just needs to end and it did.  I don’t say that in any way to sound like a jerk but the reality of things is that sometimes things end and no one is happy and no one is sad it just ended.  What we try to focus on is to always make a happy ending and we skip the learning part of these events.  Well the evening ended with one more lesson and that was that we can never control what others do but we sure can turn that wheel and have a different outcome.


The violence in Chicago keeps going because many of us refuse to put ourselves in the position of being that true advocate for change.  

What would be different if ALL pastors TRULY spoke of Gods never ending LOVE without any bias as to whom you screwing in the bedroom? 

What would be different if ALL community organizers TRULY fought for EVERYONE in the community? 

What would be different if ALL educators where given ALL the tools they needed to TRULY educate our youth so that they were better prepared to deal with issues?

I’m not trying to make myself out to be anything other than a Brother that cares…


I’ll leave you with this because this is something I’ve been thinking about for a long time…

If people believe that every single word in the Bible is 100% God then when we turn to the very last book in the Bible we come to understand that a very violent act that cannot be duplicated by us will take place to bring about Peace and Heaven, so does that mean that there are some church folk that just see the violence on the streets as a process that God is going through and that’s why it keeps happening?

Peace/AMOR

Gerardo