Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Looking for Peace.....in waiting for you to take action.


So why did I ever think taking a cross country trip to talk about Peace would be of any value?
Mostly because I can see that our society is unaware of what Peace means and I say that with 100% assurance.  There are plenty of examples of this and I guess I will keep on talking about Trayvon because it is still somewhat fresh in our minds.  Today the media reports that both video and sound from the day that Trayvon was murdered is being enhanced to basically see who was right in all of this.  Could you imagine if we had this technology back when Jesus was crucified?  Let alone when He resurrected because I’m sure they would be enhancing the video images from the security cameras to see if it really happened.  It would be a tough sell for Christians today if there was video back then!

We are not being honest with ourselves and this will lead into a phase in this society that many of you may not welcome.  Back in the 1980’s the biggest cultural fear was music videos because now the music had images to it and people were making the connections quicker about the meaning of a song.  One of the biggest was Madonna’s “Like a Prayer” video the church flipped out on this one and I remember hearing older people in my church talk about it in whispers as if God couldn’t hear what they were saying.  Today Face Book and Twitter are the new evils and in the next 10 years it will be something else but the side effect to all of this is a complete disconnection of society and reality.   I believe that is why it has become so easy for someone like Rick Santorum to still be around.  Our society is completely disconnected from one another and in each corner everyone thinks they are an American. 

I can see this a bit more clearly these past couple of years because the Nation I belong to also has fallen into this hole.  I can firmly say that I was part of the ruling class within my Nation and didn’t see the “ugly” side of that Nation very often.  When I would speak with the greater population of this Nation I would hear stories that made me wonder if we belonged to the same Nation.  As I would reach out and investigate I would find some confirmation of the stories and I would ask ‘why are we allowing this to happen?’  I never got a good answer other than ‘it is what it is’ which would drive me up the wall.  I began to see that across that Nation everyone swore they were the best example of that Nation and would try to prove it.  All in all back in the Nation’s capital only one or two would say that they were the ONLY example of a true member of that Nation I would then say “it’s not much of a Nation if you the only real one in it!”  It wasn’t to diminish the Nation but to poke a hole in that persons bubble because the true members are the ones out there trying their hardest to do what is right regardless of where they are at. 

As I have taken steps back to see the bigger picture I can see the similarities between the two Nations and it’s almost identical at some levels.  Leaders in both Nations have and continue to go to prison, both Nations have had and/or continue to have their hands involved in illegal activities for their own profit, ego’s and unchecked testosterone levels exist in both Nations, and the women in both Nations are treated as servants and second class citizens.  The only difference between the both is the National song and the colors to the flag!

So with all of that why do I still think there is value in changing that?  Because the generation before have failed me and my generation and left us with a load that we are unprepared to carry but are trying the best we can.  I cannot do that to my children, my nephew, your children, and the future of this society I will not run away because someone was shot or because things got too hard.  I have lost many around me both in death and political maneuvers but I keep going because I got down on my knee one day and pledged that I would do as much as I can do create Peace.   Those around me know that I have a unique perspective on the “why” things happen and I by no means am an expert on everything but I got a good look at the “production” of this play we call America.

I’m not going to ask you for money nor will I ask you for your time simply I ask that if you are in any way serious about Peace or serious about being a person of Faith no matter what that means to you, then STEP UP! Sitting back and waiting for Peace to happen will NEVER happen, YOU have to take action!  For my Christian Brothers and Sisters, what would you be calling yourself today if no one traveled to other countries to spread the word of Jesus? 


Peace/AMOR
Gerardo

No comments: